6 results for month: 02/2016
222 Main Street A pair of hand-carved Federal style doorways distinguish this late 18th century house. Delicate fan shpaes and slender flanking sidelights on the doorway are an important identifying feature of the Federal style, popular between 1780 and 1830.
12 Poet Drive Philip Freneau (1752-1832), a poet known for his patriotic verse published during and after the American Revolution, lived on this site between 1753 and about 1824. Here, on the Freneau estate known as Mt. Pleasant Hall, he published the first newspaper in Monmouth County, the Jersey Chronicle, in 1795. The present house replaced the original one destroyed by fire in 1818. Across the street, on a knoll, is the poet's gravestone.
189 Freneau Avenue Built about 1810 with later additions, the Van Pelt House is so named after two brothers who owned it in the 19th century. With its wood shingle siding, low sloping roof, and knee wall windows, it is a good example of the early cottages in Mount Pleasant, the oldest settled area of Matawan now known as Freneau.
298 Main Street Once part of a 60-acre farm that extended to Route 34, the Schanck House stands as an early surviving farmhouse in Matawan. Although the origins of the house may date to 1726, the large, two-story section was built in the late 1700's with later alterations. During the 19th century, the farm was owned by DeLafayette Schanck and then by his nephew Roelof V. Schanck, who operated a tannery and currier's business on the property.
94 Main Street Recognized by its hand-split, round-cut shingles and gambrel roof, Matawan's most important colonial house is associated with John Burrowes, Sr., a grain merchant known as "Corn King" and John Burrowes, Jr., who helped organize the First NJ Company in the Revolutionary War. Tradition dates the house to 1723. The building is now operated as a historic house museum and open to the public.
19 Mill Road Also known as the Hawkins House This Dutch-American house, identified by its steeply pitched roof with flared overhanging eaves and anchorbent framing, is the oldest house in Matawan and one of a select group of early Dutch houses in Monmouth County. Built in the early 1700's, it later served as a tavern during the Revolutionary War period, operated by Thomas and Phoebe Hunn.