This location was originally a hat store owned by Mr. Hawkins who made hats to order.
It was known for decades as Dell’s Meats. Francis (Frank) A. Dell was born in England in 1876. He came to this country and eventually settled in Matawan and opened a butcher store. He partnered with Hubbard at 188 Main Street (see picture). The partnership dissolved.
Frank Dell separated ways with Hubbard and moved into 106 Main Street which was known then as the Devlin House. The business thrived and he needed a bookkeeper, and Frances Baier was hired. They married in 1914 and had three children: Frances Alice Dell (1916) (married to Alfred Adler), Francis (Frank) E. Dell (1919), and Paul E. Dell (1922).
Sons Frank and Paul Dell later ran the business after their father died in 1942. The store was known for decades as “Dell’s Meats” and later “Dell’s Market.” Dell’s Market closed in 1988.