The Community YMCA
According to 1873 and 1889 maps, this was originally the location of M. Bissell and Son Furniture. Above the store was Thomas E. Clark’s Millinery and Fancy Store.
This home replaced the building that was part of the original Commercial block that was destroyed in the great fire of January 27, 1901. Almost a full city block of six buildings was lost to the flames. Oddfellows Hall, the current location of the Masonic Temple, was one of the few buildings spared in the fire. This house was built after the fire.
The house is believed to have been built by John Perrine Lloyd, a lawyer, and his wife Isadora. They had a daughter, Miriam Lloyd.
Dr. and Mrs. Alfred C. Wallin purchased the home in 1934. Dr. Wallin was the Borough Physician. The Wallins made alterations and converted part of their residence into doctors’ offices. The building continued to be doctors’ offices from the 1930s to the 1980s.
In 1985, the YMCA moved into this building, and it has used by the YMCA since that time. The building is now referred to as “The Community YMCA” building.
The current structure was built c. 1901. The style is Queen Anne Victorian. The house has a turret with porch the length of the front of home.