S. Potter purchased the residence in 1836. He was a lumber merchant from New York. He tried to establish a boarding school in the building but was unsuccessful. This home was possibly called “Potter’s Folly” because of these failed plans. Others believe it was called this because of the extravagance of the building and interior decoration.
Later, Dr. Alfred B. Dayton used it as an office in 1852 until his death in 1870. It was later occupied by his son, Rens W. Dayton, a lawyer.
Hezekiah “Kit”’ Warne purchased the residence in 1907. He was a member of the Madison Transportation Company that operated a freight route between Cheesequake creek and New York. He died in 1922 and is buried in Rose Hill cemetery.
Built c. 1830. Greek Revival with modifications. Brick with sandstone sills. Frieze has grates with “S” Pattern, triglyphs and panels. 6/6 Sash windows. This structure formally had a front porch, stone steps with cast iron balustrade.