THE Methodist Parsonage
In 1867 this land was owned by Asbury Fountain. He sold this lot to the “Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the Village of Matawan.” The church wanted it for living space for their ministers, as it was getting more difficult to rent homes near the church.
The map below, from 1873, identifies the building as M. E. Pars. The building was completed on July 18, 1868. Reverend Relyea was the first pastor to occupy the parsonage.
Weddings and Church Socials were a common occurrence at this residence.
The church owned this residence between 1868 and 1972.
Built in 1867. The popular styles of architecture at this time were: Stick, Queen Anne and Folk Victorian style. This house possesses elements of each of those styles. Two-story with a single-story porch cover part or all of the front façade. All include porches with spindle work detailing. It has a front facing gable with asymmetrical floor plans.