The Fountain House
This land was originally owned by the Capt. John Schanck family and was purchased from William Parker. He came from a prominent New England family and was involved with the Glenwood Institute in the early 19th century.
In 1849, that acreage was conveyed to Daniel S. Schanck by the heirs of Capt. John Schanck for $1,000. Daniel Schanck, a merchant who lived in New York at the time, sold 61/100ths of an acre to Henry W. Johnson in April of 1866 for $2895. That would have been a hefty sum for an unimproved 61/100ths of an acre, so it is likely that “a” house existed at that time.
The following year, that same lot was sold to Gordon D. White for $3,000. In March of 1899, a survey was conducted noting two lots, listing it as Gordon D. White’s estate. Gordon (b. 1821) was a wagon merchant. He owned a stove foundry. He was business partners with Cartan & Co., steam sawmill. He owned land in this town and as far away as Virginia. He owned three schooners and was director of the Farmers and Merchant Bank. His major contribution to the town was overseeing the railroad construction in Matawan. When he was taken by ill health, he partnered with William A. Fountain and Edward Geran. White died in 1875 and his widow, Catherine Jane, continued to live in the house until her death on 12 Jan 1893. He registered for military duty in the Civil War in 1863.
A month after the survey was conducted, those two parcels were purchased by Frederick Lupton, Jr. in March of 1899 for a total of $3800. However, one of those lots, the one next to Henry Arrowsmith (201 Main Street) was already being prepared for a new house.
9 Feb 1899 Matawan Journal reports – “Fred Lupton Jr., has given out the contract for his new house to W. Russell Smith of Long Branch, who was also the architect.”
Fred Lupton ran a granite and marble company and is no doubt the reason for the unique stone posts that look like monuments that are present in the front. A nod to his occupation and business located on 181 Main Street! He died suddenly on March 5, 1908 while traveling home from Washington DC
Built c. 1860. Greek Revival. This home has gable front orientation, front door surrounded by sidelights, entry full width supported by prominent rounded columns. Two story with full height columns supporting font pediment gable.