Main Street – 209

Dr. Jackson House

The 1851 map shown below indicates that was the site of Conover’s General Store and G. P. Conover lived next door at 211 Main Street. The current home was likely built by Conover c. 1890.  A later map shows the residence next door still belonging to Conover but this residence now belonged to H. H. Longstreet.

209-main-mapDr. Andrew J. Jackson (1842 -1914) moved to this residence from across Church Street.  Until then, Dr. Jackson had an office at 30 Church street (today there is a parking lot at this address). He married Eleanor Crane in 1876.

Dr. Jackson moved here and added a wing that extended from front to back of the main building.  Dr. Jackson’s step-daughter, Mary Whitlock Crane, married Henry S. Terhune and they had a posh garden wedding here in July 1896 that sounded like something out of the The Great Gatsby (see newspaper clipping below).

209-main-weddingLater, John And Elsie (Munning) Bauer moved into this home on Jan. 5th, 1930. John A. Bauer worked for Hanson-Van Winkle-Munning Co. as vice president and sales manager. He was politically active and started the Matawan Willkie Club in support of Wendel Willkie for US President.

In 1963, the George family acquired this residence. Michael George was the owner of the Milu Bus Service, Inc. and the Gaslight Liquor Shop in Matawan.

Architectural Notes

This home had an addition in the back added and later removed.  It had been updated in the Victorian Stick Style. The stick style has exterior wooden framing that is decorative that is evident from the older photograph.  Those features were later streamlined with the addition of siding.


About Author

Barry Orr


Comments are closed.