15 results for month: 03/2016
10 Church Street This 3-story Italianate structure, built in 1857 and enlarged in 1874, was the home of a locally-prominent private school for 58 years. Established as Middletown Point Academy in 1834, it was originally located in a smaller building across the street. In 1874 it became known as the Glenwood Institute and finally closed in 1915. The former school has been successfully adapted to a new use as apartments.
211 Main Street The growth of Matawan between 1830-1860 corresponded with the popularity of the Greek Revival style, which adapted ancient Greek prototypes to all kinds of new buildings in the United States. The home of Garret P. Conover, built in 1836, is among the most elegantly designed and well-conserved Greek Revivial residences in Monmouth County. Thehouse is faced with locally-made Flemish bond brick and trimmed with sadstone; Ionic columns flank the doorway.
226 Main Street When New York textile merchant David Ryer moved to Matawan and built this elaborate towered dwelling in 1873, mansard roofed houses like these were in high fashion. Succeeding owners preserved the original features and ornate wood detail, and today it is Matawan's most striking residence and Monmouth County's finest example of the French Second Empire style.
230 Main Street Heavy bracketed cornices and round-arched windows with molded hoods are the hallmarks of Italianate churches erected in villages and rural areas during the mid-19th century. Built in 1860, this church replaced the original building destroyed by fire in 1858. At one time there were three other churches along Main Street: Trinity Episcopal Church, build in 1850 and now a restaurant; First Presbyterian Church, erected in 1841; and First Methodist Church, built in 1854.
South side of New Brunswick Ave., West of Main St Significant for its association with the early Scotch Presbyterian settlement of Mount Pleasant, this site dates from the mid-18th century when a church and burial ground were established here. The oldest gravestone dates from 1768. Margaret Burrowes, wife of Capt. John Burrowes of the Burrowes Mansion, is buried here. The cemetery is now maintained by the Matawan Historic Sites Commission.