Matawan Baptist Church
230 Main Street
Heavy bracketed cornices and round-arched windows with molded hoods are the hallmarks of Italianate churches erected in villages and rural areas during the mid-19th century. Built in 1860, this church replaced the original building destroyed by fire in 1858. At one time there were three other churches along Main Street: Trinity Episcopal Church, build in 1850 and now a restaurant; First Presbyterian Church, erected in 1841; and First Methodist Church, built in 1854.