Main Street – 192

Masonic Hall

In 1853, Francis P Simpson built the Washington Hall playhouse. There were several stores downstairs, such as William Spader’s lumber business and a drug store.  There were five secret societies that had space upstairs.

192-main-lecturesThe current building replaced the Washington Hall following the 1901 fire.

192-main-commercial-blockThe Odd Fellows Hall (International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF)) was located here. The Matawan Bank did business out of Odd Fellows’ Hall.

192-main-matawan-bankThis building became the Masonic Lodge no. 192 on May 6, 1910.

Architectural Notes

Built c. 1902. Beaux Art elements. First Floor fenestration appears to have been bricked in, leaving a single smaller window. Second story windows paired with arches and ionic pilasters, surmounted by sculptural cornice of terra cotta.

About Author

Barry Orr


Comments are closed.