Main Street – 155-157

The Many Post Office Buildings of Matawan

The first US Postmaster appointed to Middletown Point (Matawan) was Jonathan Forman (circa 1795).

The US Post Office was renamed Matawan in 1865.  It had operated in the same building for 24 years (1861-1885) when Postmaster D. B. Strong moved the postal services south on Main Street to his offices across from the Presbyterian Church (on Main Street). The “Old Post Office Building” hosted businesses through at least 1892.

155-main-emrichThe Post Office was leasing space from John P. Lloyd in 1909 and the Rapolla family in the 1920s through the 1930s.

155-main-po-rapollaIn 1937, the US Postal Department built its own facility at 155 Main Street (Between Little Street and Park Avenue). The building was expanded to its current size in 1975.


About Author

Barry Orr


Comments are closed.